09 Mar 2011

The 60 Second Turn

There’s always that guy (girl). Always. It’s your turn. You know what you’re going to do. Move, attack, do something funky and you’re done. Forty-five seconds tops. And then it’s his/her turn. Shuffling papers. Questions. Scrutiny of the battlefield. More questions. One minute becomes two. Two become four. The turn finally ends. Two turns later, the player remembers something. The game stops. The DM inserts the shotgun into his mouth and pulls the trigger.

That’s a bit extreme, but there’s nothing more frustrating in a game than an unprepared player.

Combat is a big chunk of Dungeons & Dragons. One might even go so far as to say the default mode of play is combat (across all editions thank you) and thus it should come to no surprise that most sessions involve several battles featuring a wide range of interesting and challenging opponents. A combat should take about an hour to play, less if you cut a few corners, yet I often find it takes much longer when certain players are present. I don’t want to pick on anyone in particular, but I should point out that if I have 6 players and each player takes a minute-long turn, then everyone has to wait about six minutes (including my turn) before they get to go again. This is fine. Only the most anxious people can’t pay attention for five or so minutes. Yet if a player takes 5 minutes or more to resolve his or her turn and you have two or even three players who require this kind of time, then not even the most attentive player will be able to keep his or her attention focused. The result is longer turns for everyone else.

In the interest of speeding up combat, here are some tips players can use to keep their turns short and combat exciting.

1. Print your Character Sheet

Character Builder makes it tempting to play the game from a laptop (or some other magical device). If you level up mid-game (which I no longer let happen), you can make the adjustments on the fly. If there’s a rules question, you can bring up the Compendium in an instant. The drawbacks, however, far outweigh the benefits. For starts, you have to scroll up and down to find the mechanical nugget you’re looking for. As well, I’m not quite sure that CB lets you mark which powers you’ve used, so you have to keep a running list of what you’ve used and what you haven’t. (The old CB did, I know.) Even if you have the page containing your power showing, what happens when you want to use a utility power on page 4? Well, you have to scroll down to that page, review the power and then announce what it does.

This may seem nitpicky, but if this process adds a minute to your turn and everyone does this, it takes twice as long for your turn to come around.

2. Crowd the Table

We play on a very large table. Very large. People spread out all around and once situated, they tend not to move, asking other players to move their miniatures. This requires another player (or me) to interpret where you want to go, adding more time to the turn.

Rather than hang back and let inertia keep you planted in your seat, get up, move over to the battlemat and take your turn. This is even easier when you have a paper character sheet since you can bring it with you.

3. Don’t Help

This is a big one. Unsolicited advice is a giant pain in the ass. It never fails. Player X takes his/her turn. Players Y, Z, and A chime in with suggestions about what X should do. X might have had an idea but now X has to consider the other options presented by the other players. So, my advice? Shut the hell up. The time to talk over tactics with a player is not when that player is in the middle if his or her turn. The time to talk is between turns, quietly so you don’t end up being a distraction. If, however, X asks for help, then offer advice. And keep it short and to the point. It’s not your turn and it’s not your character. The decision rests with the player. Offer your opinion and then be quiet.

4. Know What You’re Going to Do/Pay Attention

When you start your turn, you should already have an idea about what you’re going to do. This is not the time for you to sort through your powers, figure out where you want to move, or solicit advice from other players. If you don’t know what you’re going to do, delay. This way no one else has to wait on you.

Instead of talking about football, Avatar, or something else when it’s not your turn, watch the battlefield. Choose your powers. Plot your next move. Devise a tactic with a nearby player. Do whatever you need to be ready when it’s time to take your turn. You might even go a step further and construct a few attack combos ahead of time so you know what powers to use and in what order based on the situation.

5. Review Your Character Sheet

Before the game starts, take a few minutes to review your character sheet. Check your math. Review your feats. Take notes. If something changed such as you gained a new power or feat, take that information to the DM and show him or her the tech so there aren’t questions in the game. Also, if you have a question about a power or feat, the time to ask is before the game starts. You’ll know you have a question because you’ve taken the five minutes to examine your character sheet.

6. Make Reasonable Choices

Immediate and free action powers extend your turn into other creatures’ turns. Every time you use one of the powers, the game stops while you resolve your clever power and add more time to your turn. One or two of these powers is fine. Filling every utility and attack power with these is not. It’s inconsiderate and annoying. So stop it.

7. Dice

When it’s not your turn, don’t roll your dice on the table to get out the bad luck. Don’t stack your dice into towers. Don’t put your dice in your mouth. Leave them alone. Also, when rolling your dice, roll them on the table where everyone can see them. Don’t use a dice roller app on your phone. Don’t roll the dice behind your books. Don’t roll your dice and sweep them up. This has nothing to do with time. It’s just courtesy.

What have you found that helps speed up the game? What tricks have you come up with? Share them here or in the forums.

31 Responses to “The 60 Second Turn”

1. Josiah Bradbury says:

You just need 3 more and I’ll print this off and hang it above my table as the 10 commandments.

2. Driretlan says:

What Josiah said, so much.

3. Charles Ryan says:

Great advice, right down the line.

As a player, I tend to start thinking about my next move as soon as I finish my turn. I then refine and adjust my plan as the monsters and other characters do their thing. By the time it gets to me, I can usually zip through my actions in a matter of seconds (though not always; I’m sometimes stymied by a drastic change in the battlefield like another character going down or a monster suddenly displaying an unexpected ability). Heck, sometimes I’m already rolling the dice as my initiative is being called out.

Seems really basic to me. Which leads me to my point: The real question isn’t “how can I make my turn go faster,” ’cause those of us who recognize the issue can figure that out. It’s “how do I successfully communicate this to that problem player?”

4. Dan says:

I found that playing with myself all alone speeds it up tremendously…

I have used CB on a laptop. I stopped because it was more trouble than I wanted to deal with (now when they make it interactive and for an ipad we may need to re-visit)

I use dice roller app on my phone, mostly because I like to be different, but now that everyone is using it I will go back to my Vi#$@* Pink Dice. I do agree 100% with dice being rolled out in public and not scooping them as soon as they hit the table. Picking them up quickly or rolling in the dark shadows of the world does not help you roll better, but it does however bring into question your ability to read the numbers on the dice.

I like the idea of – if you dont know what you are doing, delay. The problem is that to many times a player delays and then still doesnt know what they want to do when they run out of time delaying.

I dont think that minimizing free or immediate actions is the right way to go, but the player using them should have them at his finger tips and know them backwards and forwards so they can be used and resolved as quickly as possible. This also lends itself to a tech issue imho – if you have those powers to use they should eat up your actions usable on your next turn (add a rider that they eat up a standard action on your next turn or something to that point) – but that is so far off topic I will not delve into it now.

Getting up and moving around the table? what kind of lazy overweight beer laden gamer are you? and whats worse… I agree with you… moving around to get a better look, to move your own mini, to whisper with a co-conspiritor about your next move is 100% benificial and helps to keep you engaged in the game.

As far as what I do to speed up the game… honestly, as you know, I dont do much.
    1. I try to not have more than 6 players… more than that and its to long no matter what you do.
    2. I do try to get players who are talking during other turns to STFU as it makes it so I cant hear and thus makes the turns longer. I also let monsters die faster than hit points would allow, once the battle is in hand (yes I cheat in the players favor).
    3. I also dont award XPs… not during the game and not after the game. This is one less thing players have to think about and thus one less thing to distract during a game.
    4. I also dont give out Action Points every two encounters – by doing this the players are not as likely to have the conversation in the middle of the battle “use your APs we will get a new one when we are done, but I dont have anything cool, shut up and use it bitch… etc” If they dont know when the next one is coming then each player has to decide on their own and again keeps the time short.
    5. And my newest one, starting at my next game, is to BAN all smart phones. They will be kept in your bag and off the table. If you have en emergency – answer it and put it away… if your zombie farm is running our of brains to eat I DONT GIVE A FUCK. The next player to be screwing around on one when it is not his turn will be very unhappy with the next attack that hits them… :)

Thanks again for the good article – keep um coming big guy!

5. E-l337 says:

There’s another that you missed which should be made painfully obvious:

8. Table Presence

If you need to get up to go to the bathroom, answer your phone, or grab a bite to eat, do so at an opportune time, not just before your turn starts. Give the rest of the group a heads-up too, let them know where you are going and how long you intend to be gone. If you are not present during your turn, you will be skipped or made to delay action.

Being that I play all of my games online, this is a big one for us. The temptation to get up and walk away is even worse online because you can think, “Oh, I’m just going to get up real fast to grab a soda, what’s going to change in the next two minutes?” That soda turns into you grabbing a snack, throwing some stuff in the dishwasher, getting distracted by the TV, and then messing with whatever household pet might be about. Next thing you know, fifteen minutes have flown by, your drink is empty, and your group is left wondering where you went.

It’s the same thing at the table though: People get up to go to the bathroom, to grab a snack or a drink, to answer their cell phone (which you shouldn’t really be doing for very long, in my opinion, barring an actual emergency), or suddenly asking “hey, who wants pizza?” It happens, but sometimes we don’t really think about the impact such a thing can have on the rest of the group. Especially if that player is the healer.

6. Dan says:

sorry #2 on my list should be two different points… my bad.

7. hutchback says:

I would like to add a suggestion to #1; cut out and sleeve your powers. I was met with much eye rolling the first time I sat a the game table with all my powers cut out and in sleeves, but the advantages became apparent rather quickly. Encounter and Daily powers can be discarded once used and thus out of the way. No need to scan to see what is still available to you. You want to use a utility, an attack, your action point and another attack. Pull the 4 cards and stack them in the order you want to play them. When it is your turn you just flip through the stack.

8. Joel says:

One think I’m doing to help is using inherent bonuses and backing off on the presence of magic items (like in my game, each 3rd level player has 1 special magic item, and that’s it). Less magic item powers => less power cards to look through on your turn => less extra “actions” to take to resolve your turn => faster play. There’s still the one player who needs to figure out exactly how his powers work on his turn every time, but at least he only has to do that for one attack, not also for his use magic running boots move action and for activating his flaming sword and for checking if he needs to use his cloak to boost his defenses and …

9. Arcane Springboard says:

Another suggestion is for people to actively ask for healing, as opposed to having the Leader player say, “Who needs healing? How about you? You? “

10. Andy Collins says:

I’ll add another one that may seem counterintuitive.

TAKE REGULAR BREAKS

It’s amazing how many of those little disruptions can be avoided if you give the players a few minutes of down time every hour or two. If players know they’ll get a break soon, they might delay those texts, side conversations, snack runs, and so on.

Consider assigning one of your players the role of “timekeeper” to suggest those breaks. He or she can keep an eye on the group (rather than the DM, who already has his/her hands full) and gauge when the group needs to walk away from the table for 10-15 minutes.

11. Hungry says:

One thing I do to speed things up is to use a timer. I rarely do this in my current group because we have our stuff together and it’s really rare for a player to take more than a minute to complete their action.

In games like Cyberpunk and GURPS where a round is measured in very tight increments (3.2 seconds for Cyberpunk and 1 second for GURPS) then I always use the timer. If a player can’t decide what to do, then their character stands dumbfounded by the action around them.

Of course, I’m fair about it and stop the timer if someone is asking for a rules clarification. However, if they’re looking up three different spells to decide which one to cast, then I hit them with the timer. They don’t need to memorize ALL spells, but the combat oriented ones should be well known.

Another “speed up the game” action we take is that one player tracks the PC damage (I keep NPC/monster damage behind the screen.) This usually falls to the healer of the group, so they’re not constantly asking people how bad off they are.

Also, one player tracks initiative for the encounters and announces who’s turn it is and who will be going next. This means that while player #3 is taking their action, player #4 can be thinking about what they want to do. This really helps.

12. Saint Mercy says:

Good Advice! As for #7 we have a little wooden tray painted to look cool that we call the Dice Arena. Everyone must roll in the arena or it doesn’t count, including the DM. It really cuts down on dice disputes. We also take regular breaks through out the session.

13. Adam says:

Counterpoint here to the dice point as the player who does all of those things that annoy you. I do those things because it helps me to pay attention to what’s going on on the battlefield. Some of us humans, myself especially, are naturally fidgety people. The way we cope with being fidgety is to do something meaningless with our hands so that we can focus on the task at hand. Asking us not to do anything only leads to us paying absolutely no attention to what’s going on.Years of schooling have only hammered home the point that if I am forced to not do anything, I will zone out, which, I promise, will only piss you off more.

So, speaking for all of us fidgeters, we’ll try to tone it down, but you’ll have to figure out something that won’t annoy you. Dice are just there and something to play with.

14. Don Cee says:

Some of my players have printed their character sheets and used card stock for the power cards. They laminiated the power cards and then cut them out. Just like in a game of cards, they can put the powers in the order that they want to use them. Encounters and Daiilies cards can simple be turned over and placed on the table. I will get some pictures to show you. I use this system myself.

Also, as a DM, I made cards for each player that has the basic melee attack and basic ranged attack showing the dice roll vs. what defense and what damage it does. The cards are an easy reference card for my players – no fiddling sheets and looking up stuff. It’s RIGHT THERE.

I plan on sharing this article with my players!

15. Leonine Roar says:

Good lord, this is exactly how I feel, every bullet point!

The “Don’t Help” I struggle with MIGHTILY. As a DM, I want them working together, especially in 4e as it’s so huge on teamwork and tactical play.

However, I do not want them slowing down players’ turns with another 2-3 options they hadn’t even considered. Especially for players who are already feeling a bit overwhelmed by 4e’s tactical complexity to begin with!

16. racephysics says:

I have nothing to add that hasn’t been touched on above.

Rob, I knew I liked you when I saw what car you drove when we met briefly for a GammaWorld game in Nashville last year. Now I know why you’re a bad-ass because without being elitist about it, you have standards for the people you regularly play with. Personally, I’m an elitist, and only play with other elitist who simply choose not to play with people who don’t follow what I had thought were unwritten (now written above by you) rules in the first place.

17. RJones says:

Number three.

DEFINITELY number three.

This is a tough thing for me to deal with because I have a group full of new players and one very not-new player. So the Veteran is telling everyone else what they could be doing, and the new players are chipping in because they don’t know any better.

/headache

18. Black Paws says:

First off Rob, this is going to be a strong reply. Don’t get ruffled by it but apologies in advance if it does. I’ll buy you a beer Friday.

#6 is the only thing I don’t agree with. Telling players they should not use options available to them stifles creativity. Immediate/Opportunity actions are part of the game, and that’s like telling a striker not to attack so much bcause their attacks are sucking up too much time. Sort of. Not a good example but I think you get my meaning.

I know exactly where this entire point comes from. The character in question is unique, plays differently from more standard (re: reasonable) fare, and above all else is EFFECTIVE. Think about how many times we may have been rolling up new characters if not for said character’s “unreasonable choices”. The game does always move faster when you’re constantly at level 10 or less.

This is a game that inspires creativity, and should reward original thinking. When we start limiting dummying down everything to a watery vanilla flavor for the sake of speed, then we are not playing D&D. We really are playing an MMO.

Dan is absolutely right…such a character should be known bacwards forwards, up and down by the player, and I think the one in question does an excellent job of managing just that. And if it makes it take an extra 30 seconds or minute to get to my turn then that;s fine by me. I have the ability to look past my own character sheet and actually enjoy wht someone else is doing at the table whether it involves me or not.

I think a great additional point to your list is to BE TOLERANT and SUPPORTIVE of other players decisions and playstyle. When you can actually have fun because you appreciate the person sitting next to you having fun the time will move along a lot quicker than when you are just sitting aaround stewing about why it isn’t about you yet. (and I mean that in the royal you, not YOU)

Do you remember when we had a long talk one night at the bar about what makes the game fun for people, and that we are all at the table for different things? That we should try to sit back and appreciate what makes the game fun for others besides ourselves? YOU lectured ME on that.

And don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that there isn’t an extreme the other way. Yes, people can make annoying characters but you have to be tolerant as well.

I made the tragic decision to play a drow sometime back, thinking that my unique (I felt) spin on the cliche` would prompt interesting RP and provide opportunities that our games had not seen in some time. The linchpin for this was that I relied on the understanding and generous nature of my tablemates. I could not have been more wrong. The ill-will directed at me for my playstyle choice grew to large pproportions as time went on and not for RP reasons. Rahter than deal with some things the wya they should have been through good RP, it just became a table of people who didn’t like what I was doing and wanted me to do something more “reasonable”. One friend even took it to the insane level of jepordizing that friendship just because…I played a DROW. It is the reason I quit playing the character. My point: If you can recognize that someone is playing something that they think is interesting and adds to the experience, even if it make sthe round go a bit longer, why not embrace what they are trying to do?

Reasonable choices?

What defines a reasonable choice then? Who makes that call? Immediate actions are annoying to me if I see more than one or two a combat so you should limit your playstyle and character choices? I don’t like Drow, so I don’t want anyone to play them? What is reasonable to one person can be quite unreasonable to someone else.

These types of actions are built into the game. By the reading of your point, an Essentials Knight or Cavalier is an “unreasonable” character. Defender aura gives the chance for multiple OA’s during a round, which make the rounds go longer.

Nope…when that defender takes his immediate action, perhaps his third or fourth in the combat to shield block an attack that would have wiped me out, or stay on his feet to keep the hallway plugged against advancing insensate evil I am not going to bitch about why it isn’t my turn yet.. I am going to cheer him on and be glad he did what he did to keep the game going.

I apologize for the length and intensity of this reply, and I do disagree with point # 6 strongly. Perhaps to he point of bleeding in different but related points. Yes, a quick, concise turn by a player is a boon, and provides for an overall healthy game. But to say that players should only choose powers that make for speedy turns is wrong. Time management is important but it isn’t always about time.

In the end, it is just a game. Something we do for fun. All your other points ae dead on, because they address negligence, preparedness, and consideration. Players who build characaters that use above average OA’s and IA’s usually aren’t guilty of those things. They don’t usually do them just to be a pain or make the game drag out. They ae build choices, most often in mind with being effective at something or displaying a unique playstyle with that character. A shield fighter inherently has a lot of OA’s and IA’s, but it is creative and different. Is it Captain America in plate mail? Sure. Why not? It could always just be another beer-swilling dwarf with a hammer and a shiield. Surly Half-Orc whirling barbarian. Gnome Bard. Elf Ranger. All very reasonable builds. And done to death.

Once again, apologies. It is late, I am hungry, a bit irritable at the time I read this. I’ll buy you a round Friday.

~Paws

19. robertjschwalb says:

Well Paws,

It seems I touched a nerve . I think I’ll talk more about this today.

R

This article touched a chord in me as well. There has been so much discussion of how combat should be sped up, and I just don’t agree with that premise. Combat should be engaging, but I don’t see any limit to the time spent on any type of RPG situation. A lot of things seem to all be lumped together into the concept of “speedy combat” and I fear where that could take the game. This kept bugging me enough that I wrote about this here.

21. robertjschwalb says:

Interesting stuff sir. I definitely agree that a combat should follow the “mini-skirt” approach, being long enough to cover the scene and short enough to keep it interesting. Setting a combat at an hour is a good gauge for plotting what you as DM want to cover in a session. Many combats in my games run about 30 to 45 minutes these days, but they can also run as long as two hours. Often, when a combat runs long it’s because of some combination of factors I’ve described above. Provided the players are enjoying themselves, there’s no reason why anyone would have to adopt any of my suggestions. On the other hand, when eyes glaze, dice rattle, and tangential conversation drowns out the combat, there are a few things folks can do. But. BUT. If whatever folks are doing works, A+.

22. robertjschwalb says:

As for the other two points… well you’ve given me something to talk about tomorrow it seems!

Thanks! “Mini-skirt approach”… I will be using that term in the future. LOL.

One thing I should go back and say is that combat does have real length issues for just delve-style simple combats. Randomly pulling two brutes, two soldiers, and one other Elite foe and placing them in a featureless 50′x50′ room, yeah, that’s gonna be a slow grind experience for a new DM. Across tons of tables in RPGA play we saw that sort of feedback, resulting in people saying things like “authors should never use elite brutes in LFR adventures”. Since that time, authors have adjusted by creating more compelling encounters, such that an elite brute can be completely reasonable and fun. The complaints have greatly lessened. But, the core rules continue to be really low on that sort of knowledge. Every new DM will stumble on this and then combat drags.

There are also issues with older monster defenses and damage values. The Dark Sun monster mentality, where PCs end up more accurate but the monsters dish out scary damage, that creates a lot of fun and prevents grind.

So, I do acknowledge mechanical issues. They do exist. Interrupts can be absolutely brutal…

24. Hunterian7 says:

Our group is very efficient and fast when it comes to game play. This is because we follow some strict guidelines such those listed above. It is perhaps because we are mostly war gamers who draw our ties to D&D as kids.

During the D&D encounters there are a many variety of players and I have to hit the brakes on my tactical playing. That is a draw back to encounters I have found. Hence, I buy the d&d encounters through eBay and play with my friends.

25. Don Cee says:

My power cards are cut out and easy to use during the game. Spent cards are turned over (top left) and I have everything I need for the game. I am ready for my turn.

26. Kilsek says:

Like Don Cee, I’ll admit once I started going to a pre-cut power card set up, I gained some speed during my turns.

I was loathe to try that format, but exasperated with the “old” sheet-flipping method, the time cost of a “custom Word doc summary” every session, and seeing a few of my friends who were really saving some time with the pre-cut card style of play for combat, I decided to finally try it.

Spent powers are easy: you flip them over like DC said.

And, for me, I use Ultra Pro black deck protector sleeves too from my Magic the Gathering days. They actually give you a few nice perks!

First, they don’t curl up or swish around the table when in card sleeves.

Second, I didn’t think a black sleeve would matter but, they’re great on the ocassional event where you need to know what you have left for next session. This happens to us all – how do you track that easily?

With one-side-solid color power cards, for example, if we end the session with dailies and no time or chance to sleep, I take the power card out of the sleeve and turn it over, re-sleeving it so now I now between sessions what I don’t have available for next time, right as we begin.

It’s just another small efficiency to help manage a the always-high complexity game within a game that is D&D 4e combat.

27. Rob Heinsoo says:

Very direct post. We’ve moved to aiming for 60 second turns as well, though we don’t have as many players. Fun story narration and dialog are excepted from the 60 seconds so long as everyone is entertained.

Personally, I admit that #3, Don’t Help, trips me up. Gotta work on that.

28. mike says:

Excellent guide. The way i personally work it, i allow roughly 6-12 to make a decision if a decision on what to do has not been made by then i count it as a delayed action. Its worked pretty well although i find myself being very lenient on the time constraints not to be a nazi but i try to remind my players that they are in the middle of combat so they do not have time to debate strategy, talking to other players counts as in character and my npcs will react to player conversation. its quite interesting that way. Cutting back the time to such a short period of time makes the battles feel more chaotic and stressful like they should be.

29. Will Fuqua says:

I agree with all the points Robert made. For me, combat at the table should be fast paced, just like combat really is in reality. When a huge fight breaks out you move quick on your feet and go go go. You don’t attack, think a bit, move, think some more. When the combat gets slow because of a few players, people’s interest and focus suffers.

One idea I came across that I like is from Mike Shea at http://www.slyflourish.com where he gives out poker chips that can be turned in for a +1 to attack to players who make their turn in under 30 seconds. He uses an hour glass egg timer that can be found at most gaming stores these days. Person does their turn before the sand runs out, a chip with a +1 written on it with a sharpie gets tossed over. Keep in mind you will need two of these egg timers.

Players knowing when their turn is up helps. I personally usually pay attention to the order of combat so I know when I’m almost up, but if a DM can display the initiative order in some fashion, that’s pretty helpful. I’ve even heard of some groups that sit in the order of the initiative once the combat begins. Of course it can be rough playing musical chairs when people delay their turn.

One other thing I do, I try to roll my attack and damage together. But it’s a huge pet-peeve of mine when players start asking for extra dice like d10s for example because this one attack does 3d10 + whatever. Just quickly roll the d10 three times instead of looking around at players and their dice. There’s no rule that says you have to roll your daily power with all the dice at once so it looks bad***, just get that damage rolled and stated.

30. Sam says:

Everybody who’s mentioned having an interactive character sheet on their laptop NEEDS to check out http://www.iplay4e.com

It’s exactly everything you could want in a 4E digital character sheet. It reads in the .dnd4e file, exported from the character builder, and gives you a nice dynamic page with autoroller that does the math for each power and everything. It interacts with the compendium to show you the original write-up of a power when you want it, and has really nice layouts for laptops, tablets, or mobile devices.

I can’t recommend it enough. It definitely speeds up my play, if only because I’m no longer able to lose my sheet between sessions. :)